General Job Description
The Director of Youth Development will bring exceptional leadership and strategic abilities, strong understanding of and deep respect for the youth development & educational sectors. This dynamic leader will display excellent emotional intelligence and will have senior-level experience.
Duties & Responsibilities
Vision, Strategy Development, and New Initiatives
- Work closely with the Executive Director to develop and implement strategies for Community Youth Advance accomplish its vision.
- Ensure that strategies are documented and shared within the organization, and fully owned and carried out by staff.
- Initiate new projects and programs that can catalyze change and build on core strengths, while ensuring consistency with strategic direction.
- Protect and advance strong organizational reputation and brand.
- Maximize outreach and impact using a variety of social media and digital tools, data metrics, and analysis.
- Design, implement and monitor high-quality youth mentoring, high school re-engagement, and skill-building programming.
- Design, coordinate, and lead out-of-school time and summer curriculum that includes academic support, social-emotional skill building, exploration days, and hands-on activities.
- Match mentors and mentees at the beginning of each program cycle.
- Provide cohort-level and individualized coaching for mentors to better support and build relationships with their mentees.
- Lead targeted case management support for pairs to ensure they meet programmatic outcomes and participation requirements.
- Use data to determine which pairs may need additional support or program interventions.
- Create and coordinate meeting opportunities for pairs to increase program participation.
- Manage satellite programming at off-site locations to ensure quality youth programming.
- Manage re-engagement case management team.
Training, Data & Recruitment:
- Coordinate student recruitment efforts for the school year and summer programming.
- Conduct initial interviews with potential mentees and mentors.
- Develop, implement, and conduct mentor training quarterly.
- Develop, implement, and conduct on-boarding training for all new mentors.
- Develop mentee and parent evaluation and use data to deepen CYA’s programs and services.
- Advance the ongoing mission of Community Youth Advance by interfacing with corporate and community representatives to educate them on the features and benefits of services available via Community Youth Advance.
- Recommend opportunities and strategies to ensure organizational success. Exhibit strong communication and team skills for individual and team progress.
- Build and maintain relationships with the public sector, private sector, civic and community-based organizations, local communities including parents, local government, and donors, etc.
- Collaborate cross-functionally to support the organization’s mission and annual goals.
- Develop and implement annual compliance checks including backgrounds check of mentors.
- Manage mentorship expense tracking (receipts, monthly finance reports, etc).
- Coordinate supplies for events and trainings, manage space logistics.
- Carry, lift, and deliver supplies, tools, and equipment as needed.
- Maintain records of contacts and activities.
Education & Training
The Director of Youth Development will be highly energetic and passionate, with a track record of achievement in previous leadership roles in philanthropic organizations, a commitment to youth development and educational sectors with demonstrated business acumen in addition to:
- Passion for and knowledge of mentoring and effective youth service practices.
- 3 years of relevant experience in a similar position and/or performing similar tasks.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher.
- Ability to travel periodically locally.
- Ability to occasionally work evenings and weekends.
- Successfully complete criminal background check.
Ability to demonstrate the Community Youth Advance values;
- We lead with love, encouraging young people to reach their best in every situation.
- We express kindness to all; caring and compassion are at the heart of all we do;
- We practice collaboration and teamwork, recognizing that none of us can do it alone;
- We will bring an attitude of successto every challenge we face;
- We strive to be lifelong learners, and actively seek opportunities to expand our personal and professional knowledge;
- We will maintain strict confidentiality and accountability in upholding CYA's philosophy and mission.
Skills & Abilities
- Excel at Microsoft Office (Word, Publisher, Excel), able to learn and use donor management software.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Familiar with database entry and maintenance.
- Familiar with Human Resources Management.
- Work Environment - Hardworking, fun, and flexible.
- Hours/Shifts - 40 hours per week; flex work from home.